One skein + one afternoon +one baby = one thousand kisses

one.skein

I have been stealing as many moments as possible in the crochet chair ever since Thanksgiving, and slowly everyone is getting a little layer of love added to their wintry accessories. I need to remind you that I have no real knowledge of what I'm doing when I sit down to crochet anything, and typically just make it up as I go. Maybe everyone feels this way. I think this is why knitting has never stuck with me. It seems less like something you can manipulate like I have been able to get away with when crocheting. My mom has taught me to knit precisely six times and I still haven't gotten comfortable with it. But I do have knit envy, especially when it comes to all those wonderful hand knit socks and lovely sock yarns. I have been using several sock yarns (which I would consider the above) for things that are not socks which feels like a guilty pleasure. All that said, I love a quickie. I fell in love with this skein at my favorite local fabric shop turned local fabric/yarn shop. Yesterday after wrapping up a separate but much longer crochet project, I was in the mood for a itty baby hat.

one.afternoon.hat

All I did was make a rectangle of half-double crochet and threw a few scattered bobbles into the mix as I went - the rectangle width is 1/2 of Roman's head circumference, and the height is twice the height I wanted the hat to be. Once the rectangle was complete, I simply folded in half lengthwise and yarn-sewed the sides together. Then I crocheted a 5 stitch-length ribbing all around the bottom edge (great tut here).

woodsy.pom

Making a pompom at each corner became a must once we tried the hat on young Roman. The yarn is so sweet and woodsy and the rectangle shape of the hat naturally gives you these pokey little ears. So I went with the extra creature addition of pompoms (another great tut for those here with a pompom maker and for those without a pompom maker). I also didn't trim them too neatly so they would look a little scruffy. I encourage scruffiness for baby boys, its who I am.

little.creature.boy

And the result. Well. The cuteness. I can't stand it. Maybe you can stand it. I. Can. Not. Stand. It. And he is doing the Mowgli thing a lot lately instead of knee-crawling which he has yet to really do. I think he might skip real crawling altogether and go straight to walking one day soon.

My little creature.

More warm wearables to be posted soon! But posting this picture reminded me that I need to go and kiss his chubby little face at once. xxxxxxxo~AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yo El Vaquilla (1985)

Saw 3D (2010)

Rambling Rose (1991)